(Sunday Scribblings prompt: Puzzled)
- Did the loud music coming from the apartment above mine ever get turned off last night? It started up in the late afternoon yesterday, was still on (loudly) when I finally went to sleep around 1:30am, and when I woke up at 8am it’s still going strong.
- Was Discover (the credit card company) not receiving enough profit? They used to offer this great service where you could go to their website and send a gift card to someone. You would choose the amount, tell them where to send it, add a personalized message, and they would ship the card for free to your recipient and deduct the amount from your existing credit card account. How quick and easy! I liked the fact that the recipient could use the card anywhere, instead of having to choose a store card that they could use in only one place. I used this service for several years but now it’s no more — at least the “free” part. It now costs $3.95 for them to send the card, or $6.95 if you want them to enclose a greeting card. So now I will no longer use their gift card service, because I don’t think I should have to pay any extra. Haven’t there been studies that show gift cards are more profitable for companies than the recipients?
- Why does the state of California think I might owe them money? I started a job in the state at the very end of 2005, which means I only worked for a few weeks in California for the 2005 tax year. When I filed my taxes the following April, I looked at the requirements on their website and ascertained that I didn’t have to file a state tax return (although I did, of course, file a federal return and one for Virginia state taxes). But I just recently got a notice in the mail from them that I DO have to file, and I spent several hours printing out forms from their website, going through my records, and mailing them the information they requested.
- Where are all these people going? This is what I wonder when I drive in northern Virginia traffic. Sometimes I suspect they’re out there in their cars just to be out and about. They’re all conspiring against me. (Kidding.) But I estimate it takes me at least twice as long to get from one place to another than it would if I lived in a different area.
- Why did the weather have to take a turn for the worse today, when I had every intention of braving that traffic and going out to run some errands? It’s no fun to drive when there’s snow coming down.
- If you’re a blogger, don’t you realize that there are certain color schemes that make it really hard to read the text on your page? Like green words on a black background? Small text that I have to squint to see? This is not reader-friendly. If you’re going to take the time to write on a blog, it would be unfortunate to have it overlooked because it’s too much trouble to read.
- Why did my friends look at me funny yesterday when I described the most recent documentary I’d received in the mail? I guess it didn’t seem quite as interesting to them as it did to me.